Monday 14 April 2008

Days Out

This week is a busy week for me as without really realising it, I have managed to book up almost every day this week with social activities! It started on Sunday when my little sister Helen asked whether I would accompany her and two of her colleagues on a couple of pre-visits. She is a primary school teacher so they have to do Risk Assessment visits to all the things they want to do before they take the children there.
Sunday = Horniman Museum. If you have never been there (and stop sniggering about the name!), it is a small museum in South London. It is free to go in, open all week (I think) and was set up by John Horniman back in the olden days. He was a tea plantation owner I think and he collected ALOT of stuff from his travels around the world. He was a collector in the great Victorian sense of the world. The museum itself is an impressive example of Arts & Crafts architecture and the display cabinets are all the original wood and glass ones. www.horniman.ac.uk
I was a bit tired walking around and it was raining outside which always makes it harder to get around for some reason. It's a great place though and I can't wait to take Ashley there, he'll love it.
Monday = London Zoo. This was with my sister too. I nearly didn't go because I was walking down to my other sister's house to feed the cats and I was feeling really stiff and was shuffling along like an old lady. The reason for feeling a bit stiff in the old joints is because of the Neulasta injection (the one that saves my white cells). The main side effect is bone pain. In the Cancer Vixen book she had the injection when her white cells were already low and she experienced really severe pain. I think because I am having it as a precautionary measure it is not so bad but my white cells are at the lowest they've been yet (about 2.8 - it's OK it's not a problem until they are under 1). Since the last lot of chemo I have had pain in my jaw and neck and everywhere that bone is near to skin (admittedly not THAT many places on me!). It's like when you are REALLY REALLY tired and you touch your neck and it aches. It doesn't hurt constantly just when touched. Which makes things like sitting and lying quite uncomfortable. And kissing was nearly out altogether!!!!! How awful!!!!!

I decided to go to the Zoo because it was a sunny day and I didn't really want to spend the whole day at home doing nothing. I was still a bit worried about money because although my sister said she's pay for me I had to buy a travelcard to get up to London and that in itself is £7. That's a lot of money to me now.

Got to the Zoo - it seemed like it took forever. I guess because it's a complicated journey, train to Charing X, tube to Camden Town then a 15 minute walk. It was pretty good at the Zoo but SOOO much walking! It rained on an off during the day which was a bit annoying as you were hot one minute, cold the next - great British springtime weather!
My favourite bit was the temporary butterfly exhibit thing. It is a great big inflatable tunnel that you go in and all the butterflies are flying around you. One even landed on me. There was a lovely lady zookeeper who told us all about the butterflies and moths and Helen and I didn't want to leave.

This picture is deceiving because you can't tell the size of the butterfly but it was about the width of my hand.

The exhibits in the Zoo that are open and the animals are within reach are amazing, I was about a foot away from a sloth with no barrier in between! I'd highly recommend it but BE WARNED - there are NO elephants any more :( Helen bought me a little toy elephant instead :)

Tuesday = Lunch with Lindsay in Bromley. An friend from school, we've now known each other for 20 years! She bought me a lovely new headscarf which is all bright colours and bold patterns.


Wednesday = (today) Cinema with (another) Lindsay and dinner. We love a bargain so it's half price cinema tickets and half price dinner courtesy of Lindsay and the amazing deals she manages to find! Thanks hon.

Thursday = Lunch with Sally at the House of Commons. I've never been up there before so I can be a bit touristy at the same time!

Phew!

I think next week I'll have to go back to work because I need the money :(

Thank you for all your continued messages!

Lots of love

Liz
xxx

No comments: