Monday 22 September 2008

Back to Work!

Hi folks,

I had surgery on Friday (19th Sept) to put in the tissue expander. It was just day case which was nice (shame they don't do it in the Day Surgery yet though, then my friends could have looked after me!). I went in at 07:30am and had to wait until 12:30pm for my op!!!!! Mr Desai came round and drew all over me and I looked like a dressmaker's doll with dotted lines everywhere. He measures across my chest, to align the boobs I guess.

As usual I didn't mind the anaesthetic bit, they gave me some Midazolam which is a lovely drug that just makes you a bit floaty before they gave me the actual 'put you to sleep' one when I totally conked out in a matter of seconds!

I went in to Surgical Admissions (the old ENT ward) and afterwards was transferred to Surgical 7. I remember waking up in recovery and Sheree from work was there which was nice - a friendly face! I struggled to keep my eyes open though.
And indeed for the rest of the day I struggled with talking/eyes open stuff! I just wanted to sleep. Ashley's Dad's wife Lynn came in to see me as she works in the hospital and then later Ash came in too and stayed with me, The nurse looking after me was a bit dippy and wasn't sure whether I was supposed to be going home or not. Well I WAS! There was no way I was staying overnight, what a waste of a bed for one thing - I was fine to go home. Mum came and picked us up although I had to get Ashley to push me in a chair to the car as I still felt a bit wobbly.

Got home - straight to bed and up late on Saturday. Felt a bit light headed still on Saturday but it wore off eventually. Actually felt a bit like a hangover - well it was - an anaesthetic hangover.

Saturday Ashley also told me some bad news - he had had a phone call from work on the Friday informing me that I have been overpaid and that I would not being getting my wages on Wednesday but would just be on Statutory Sick Pay. That means I will be getting about £250 a month. Not nearly enough to live on - not enough to even pay my HALF of the rent, let alone all the other bills. So that was a bit of a blow and a pain as there was nothing we could do about it over the weekend apart from worry.
In reality what it means it that instead of having 4-6 weeks recovery from this operation, I am going to have to go back to work this week. That's a bit pants but if that's how it's got to be then that's how it's got to be. I would have gone back the last few weeks but the unit had moved because of building works and I had no where to actually go.
Anyway, I don't mind too much but now I am going to have to work hard because every penny counts. At least I am not feeling quite so tired as before, the chemo has really worn off now.

So much so in fact that Ash and I did a six mile hike last week! We walked from Orpington all the way up to Biggin Hill to have dinner at his Dad's. It was a really good walk and I didn't stop or slow down too much so I am definitely getting better!

We also have new - we have a new cat at the moment. He is called Winnie and is OLD, anywhere from about 17-20. He needs rehoming as his present owner is moving back to New Zealand. We are trialling him out with Dora as we are not sure how they will get on. They have been hissing and growling a bit at each other but no fur flying as yet. He is pretty chilled out actually, it's just about whether she will accept him.

That's all for now, I'm going to get dressed now and then my friend Gemma is coming over for the day.

Lots of love
Liz
xxx

No comments: