Friday 29 February 2008

"The first one is usually the worst"

That is a quote by one of the Oncologists. A new one which I saw on Wednesday. I went to see her to discuss how the first round of chemo had been and what my side effects were and how I had coped with it. It was one of those horrible afternoons in the unit where everyone was delayed. We had already waited about forty five minutes and the rather prim volunteer who helps out with the waiting lists told us it would probably be another hour. Usually at this point we head up to Costa and get a coffee but we had to go to the allotment after the appointment and time was dragging on (it was about 4 o'clockish by this point) so we decided to go to the allotment anyway as it was only 5 minutes walk away from the unit (handy or what??). I told the volunteer this and she just looked at us funny and said, 'I don't think there's time for that', 'it's only over the road' I said, 'not even as far a walk as Costa' which is over the other side of the hospital. 'Well, I just put down that you are going for coffee dear'. Hospitals have a very strange set of etiquette rules!
So we went to the allotment, we didn't do much just a few bits and bobs. When we came back in one of the Healthcare Assistants said that we could wait another hour to see Dr Sawyer or go in and see this other doctor that I hadn't seen before. We opted to see the new person, there was no way I was going to wait another hour. I know they are all going to tell me the same thing. Bit of advice if this happens to you: unless you are seeing one doctor because you want to ask THEM something specific (say if it was Mr Desai and he was the one operating on me I would want to see ONLY him), then wait. If not, don't bother, they all have your notes in front of them and generally the other docs are on hand if they need to ask a question. Don't ever be afraid to question a doctor, don't forget they are there to look after you but YOU are the only person who truly has your best interests at heart and if you are AT ALL unhappy or confused or unsure about anything they say then get them to explain it. Anyway, that was a bit of a rant wasn't it. I just think that if I have problems understanding them sometimes then how on earth do non-healthcare people manage. My other bit of advice is to take someone sensible in with you, with a notebook if necessary because Ash has been great at remembering the things that I conveniently forget!

Anyway, after all that waiting the appointment was about 5 minutes although I did try to drag it out as long as possible as we had been waiting a while. She just asked me how I had been feeling and about my side effects but since they were nothing too horrendous (it's all relative I suppose!), she said they would not change the chemo dose and that it "The first one is usually the worst"!!! How I have clung to those words!

I had blood taken that day too, it was to check my white blood cells, specifically the neutrophils. There are several types of WBC but these are the important ones for chemo. The numbers were good so my second session was booked for that Friday.

Mum took me in on the Friday, we went a bit early to see the Wig Lady. The Trust pay for one wig for you (they are about £100) and if you want a back up hairstyle you can buy another one with a discount. The previous week I had tried on quite a few but they were mostly old lady styles which is SO not me! Ash couldn't stop laughing at me. The thing is when you try them on when you still have hair you have to wear a bit of old tights to prevent your hair from falling off into the wig. Very hygienic etc. I had just washed my hair that morning so it was all lovely and shiny. NOTE: this is not good when trying on wigs! Mum helped me with the bit of old tights (bandit mask) as it wouldn't stay on my head but she ended up pulling it over my face most of the time so I looked like a bank robber! Ash came down too and we looked at the wigs that I had ordered the previous week. One was long and curly - the hair I've always wanted! It was a tad girly though and I don't think I could have maintained it. We chose a two-tone one (I might be going back to blonde again!) and I'm going to pick this Friday which one I am definitely having. There is a funky one with kind of pink bits in it which I might buy, you know for parties and things! Here's a pic of one I tried on that was the closest to my real hair as it could get (colour etc) but waaaaay too long and thick!
PS I CANNOT GET THIS PICTURE TO ROTATE!


The second lot of chemo was nothing major, the Dexamethasone was weird again. The old nettles in the knickers feeling hee hee! I didn't feel sick at all this time. We went home. That was it. I was VERY pale when I got in and a bit tired.

I'm going to wrap this blog up and start a new one to try and keep them short and sweet. I think I'll be able to get them out a bit more regularly then (miracles COULD happen!)

See you all soon
Liz
xxx

1 comment:

Maggie said...

1. I think you're a great writer - but you were like that at school.
2. I laughed at the wig & bank robber bit.
3. Would love to come & visit/see you - catch up with all your life that's not on this blog! Let me know a) where you live & b) when's a good time to come over!!