Saturday 23 February 2008

One down, seven to go!

After that first bout of chemo I did feel grotty for about five days. I was tired but not sleepy, headachy without actually having a headache (like the precursor to a migraine), nauseated but not sick (well, just once - projectile onto the toilet hee he, Ash had to clean it up). We actually managed to go up to Westerham on Saturday for a cream tea (which is what I threw up later) and it was nice to be out and about although I was tired and couldn't walk too fast. These are the times I wish we had a car. The weather was just too glorious to stay indoors though and I really wanted some fresh air. Usually at the weekend I would open all the windows to the flat to let some air in but now that Dora is here and is VERY curious about the outside world, we can only open them a little bit or not at all. I think we have to accept that soon she is going to make a run for it outside, just to see what is out there.

Sunday, Monday and Tuesday I just felt tired and mostly stayed in watching television or playing Wii games. I did force myself to go out and mooch round Orpington, I even went for a walk in the park but I was shattered when I got back.
When I left the unit on the Friday after the chemo they gave me a big bag of drugs to take home. They weren't anything major just a lot of sickness and bowel-orientated medications. Chemo really constipates you and since that is never something I have a problem with that knocked me for six. The rundown is as follows:
Day 2 (the first day after the chemo): In the morning I took 3 Dexamethasone, 1 Ondansetron (both anti-sickness), 2 Dioctyl (anti-constipation), 1 Omeprazole (protects your stomach), 2 Paracetamol, 2 Ibuprofen. Also (Ashley did this) I had to have an injection of something called Neulasta which is a small amount of a solution which prevents your white blood cells from disappearing. The major side effect of that is bone pain! I didn't get that though luckily. I then had to take 2 more Dioctyl before bed.
Day 3 and 4 the Dexamethasone, Omeprazole and Dioctyl continue plus more painkillers for headache.
Day 5 and onwards just the Omeprazole and Dioctyl.
The reason for the sickness, diarrhoea/constipation and mouth ulcers (which are common with chemo) is that the chemo drugs attack fast-regenerating cells and your gastro-intestinal tract has lots of those. So top to bottom that's where the upset is. To be honest, of all the systems in the body, it's not bad - I'd rather have my GI tract upset than my liver, kidneys, heart or lungs.

Before I take any painkillers I have to check my temperature. This is because if you get an infection, one of the first signs is a raised temperature and painkillers mask that as they bring your temperature down (which is why you take Paracetamol-based products when you have the flu - it deals with pain and fever). Pharmacology lesson over for another week!

OK, it's now Tuesday and I really should get this finished as I'm due to have the next lot of chemo on Friday. Am not looking foward to it - I think it's the knowing that I am going to be ill. Maybe worse than last time. Before I have it I am seeing the Oncologist tomorrow - I think to talk about how it was last time and maybe rejig the doses, I don't really know. Then they are going to take some blood from me, I think to test WBC (White Blood Cells) but again, I'm not really sure. I'm not being VERY helpful here am I???!!!!

I just checked my MySpace page for the first time in ages as I am mostly on Facebook now and I got a message from a guy that I went to uni with.. THE FIRST TIME!!!! Well, I graduated in 1998 so it was quite some time ago (man I'm old!).
Incidentally, I had my birthday at the weekend, Me and la famille went to Downe village to have afternoon tea - it was awesome. Here's the rundown:
Sandwiches (I had smoked salmon and cream cheese)
Toasted teacake or crumpet
Scones, jam and cream
Cake
AND as much tea as you can drink!!!!!!! All for £8.50 - what a bargain!

As I write this, Ophelia is out, Ashley is asleep on the sofa downstairs and Dora is sleeping on my bed. It's a bit quiet (probably why I've gotten around to blogging).

Ash and I went to the allotment after he finished work today and planted our first plants in!!!!! On Sunday we took my mum and dad there and we planted my Bay tree (which mum's friend Rosie kindly nursed back to health after the hot summer of 2003 and my neglect!) but that doesn't count. Today we planted rhubarb, asparagus and raspberry. Watch this space in a few months to see how they grow. I'll pop some pictures up.




Thank you everyone for my cards, presents and birthday wishes

Liz
xxx

No comments: