Tuesday 11 March 2008

Hair

As many of you know through my Facebook page and various messages and conversations, I am now BALD!
After the second sessions of chemo I felt OK, a bit tired but MUCH better than the first time! I have chemo on Fridays so that I can be ill over the weekend when Ash is there to look after me and then if I feel OK I can work the following week. Anyway, on the Saturday some hair started coming out when I ran my fingers through my hair but not too much. About the amount that comes out when you naturally molt. This is something girls are more likely to know about but when you are ill or run down sometimes your hair molts a little bit. Saturday and Sunday weren't too bad, I was well enough to spend Saturday at the allotment digging. We took one of my new chairs down there in case I was a bit tired but Ash's mate Chris came down and he had a hangover so he ended up in the chair most of the morning! Good job I didn't need it really!
Monday and Tuesday more hair started coming out, when I washed it loads came out and then I had to brush it which didn't help.


By Wednesday I had to wear a headscarf out of the house as a big lump of hair had come out just at the front and it was really noticeable. I didn't want any comments about combovers!

NB It is now ages since I started this blog and things have been happening so I'm going to try and be quick so I can get everyone up to date!

When I went in for my next appointment that Friday pretty much all my hair had come out and I had a straggly little ponytail at the back. Luckily for me I got my wig that day. It is lovely and long with blonde on top and brown shades underneath. It is quite thick so it is not like my real hair but everyone thinks it is so that's OK!
I was annoyed with the little ponytail so I just cut it off with a pair of scissors and then carried on and trimmed up the rest of my hair. It ended up looking like this...



Ashley said I looked like an 'escaped mental patient' but I quite liked it. It is a very liberating feeling cutting all your hair off!
That evening after looking at me for a few hours Ash couldn't stand it anymore so he got the clippers out (we don't have any guards for them) and clippered my head all over - a 0.5! I'm officially a skinhead! I'm not going to go quite so far as to shave it with a razor as then I would be all shiny. No thank you.
I didn't like it at first, I felt REALLY bald and you can feel the slightest breeze on your head when you have no hair - it is very sensitive!
Here's what it looks like:

I've got used to having no hair and have realised that really the pros outweigh the cons. Here they are:

CONs
My head gets cold
People stare
I like having hair!
Wigs are a bit hot and itchy

PROs
I've always wanted to shave my head (don't ask me why!)
Hopefully my hair will grow back thick and curly (like I've always wanted!)
It takes me two minutes to have a shower and dry myself as I don't have to wash/dry and style my hair
I am saving LOADS of money on shampoo. (I went into Sainsbury's the other day and my regular shampoo was on offer, I was about to put some the trolley before I realised I didn't need any and probably wouldn't need any for a while. And I already had some at home!)
When I wear a wig I don't have to style my hair and it keeps my head warm

So, there you have it. Being bald was something I was not looking forward to and I was quite upset at the prospect of losing my hair but not it's happened I don't mind it at all. Everyone keeps saying that I look good bald which is always encouraging!

Thank you for all your support and encouragement as always

Liz
xxx

1 comment:

Maggie said...

you actually do look good bald - very Demi Moore/Sinead O'Connor - nice & sexy girl!!!